Thursday, November 18, 2010

Rush Hour 2 (2001)


Product of New Line Cinema
Directed by Brett Ratner
Starring Jackie Chan, Chris Tucker, John Lone, Ziyi Zhang, and Roselyn Sanchez.

I decided to start this blog off with an all-time personal favorite of mine, a movie that I can recite backwards and forwards, with my eyes closed and my hands tied behind my back.
This film picks up where its prequel left off, with Detectives Lee and Carter heading to Hong Kong for a vacation from their last case.  Lee ends up taking cases while Carter is supposed to be enjoying his vacation, and even combines the two into a disastrous encounter in a Chinese Triad gangster bar and a party on a yacht.

I was startled by the lack of fighting scenes in a Chinese-based Jackie Chan movie.  The kung-fu scenes were very smartly choreographed as well as hilarious in nature.  Jackie Chan scaling bamboo buildings and Chris Tucker fighting in nothing but a towel in the middle of a massage parlor were enjoyable to watch - all sexual orientation jokes aside.

I was also very impressed at watching Ziyi Zhang playing such a serious character, given her age when the film was made.  Also, revealed in the Trivia section of IMDb.com (a wonderful site where I get the majority of my information), I was surprised to discover that she isn’t actually trained in martial arts.  Many of her hand-to-hand combat moves are based off of her lessons in dance.

All in all, Tucker’s comedic antics, psychotic screams, and witty comebacks really shape his role not only in the Rush Hour trilogy, but in practically all of his roles.  You have to admit, we all remember “The Fifth Element.”  Chan is once again masterful doing his own stunts and even getting a laugh out of it all in a light-hearted yet somewhat adult film.

I always have to give props to the director, Brett Ratner.  Though there are a couple bad takes, none of which I can recall at this time, I know from the outtakes that while a big time cinema director is a serious worker, he definitely exercises his sense of humor and never makes a movie without laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment